Monday, July 18, 2016

Paris in July Week 2 Links

Noumea - Locals playing Petanque
Welcome to the second week of Paris in July. I apologise for the late posting of this weeks Mr Linky. I've just returned from New Caledonia, where I did relax, read, speak french, eat french, and enjoyed the company of locals. I didn’t spend too much time online or doing any admin for my many volunteed projects. It was a needed break. However I return to a new job, a large late running uni assignment, and a needy and lonely dog who deserves some lovin.

While travelling I did get a chance to visit a few Paris in July bloggers. Again, lots of diversity and different activities. Some have posted on previous trips to Paris (check out The Marmalade Gypsy, and Esme at chocolate & croissants posts), some have been busy reading classics (see Dolce Belezza), and some more recent french literature  (see the Reading Life & Bronas books) and for a film review see the Content Reader.

I wanted to share this clip, I have quite enjoyed listening to french music & radio while travelling.

Post your links here for Week 2 of Paris in July 2016.



14 comments:

Paulita said...

Okay, call me an ignorant American, but I didn't know that New Caledonia was a French territory. You've educated me, and it sounds like a fabulous place to relax, read and practice speaking French.

Mel u said...

Question for all. Who do you think is the greatest literary chronicler of Paris?

Mel u said...

Ok another question. Who is the most culturally influential French woman of the 20th century?

Paulita said...

Mel, It seems like we have to go with Coco Chanel. I'm ashamed to admit that the only female French writer I know of is Simone de Beauvoir. I'd better step up my game.

Tamara said...

Hi Mel, I too have limited reach on this subject... sounds like time for research. But over the years these names have been repeated many times in Paris in July - Julia Childs (I know she's not French), Edith Piaf, Coco Channel. I remember reading something inspirational about the french women of the resistance (but is that classified as cultural?) - Great Questions.

Lisbeth said...

I would agree to Coco Chanel, Simone de Beauvoir, although she might not have influenced a lot of other women (?). I think she more thought of herself as equal to men and did not care that much to influence other women. Francoise Sagan and Collette maybe?

Sim Carter said...

I think Francoise Sagan and Collette as well. Collette wrote the original Gigi (I think I'm recalling that correctly) and but I did read Bonjour Tristesse by Francoise Sagan. She was young and irreverant and really got France culture in the late 50's and 60's.

Mae Travels said...

I looked for lists of famous french women authors, didn't find much limited to that topic. I did find a list by a French literary site of top 10 women writers which included 6 French women and 4 others. Assuming it represents the French opinion on the subject, it's pretty interesting.

LINK: http://www.alalettre.com/fluctuat-top-10-femmes-ecrivains.php

But you are in France, Madame said...

I visited New Caledonia on a French-government sponsored 'stage' for Australian teachers of French. This was many, many years ago, but as Australia's closest French-speaking nation it was a pleasure to be able to immerse myself in the language without the usual 24 + hours of flying time.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Learned something today...French spoken in New Caledonia!

As to influential French women, I'll throw out one of my personal favs, Marie Curie. Or, how about Joan of Arc?

Ally said...

Strange, but from my laptop I cannot see the links...

Ally said...

No links from the tablet either.... does anybody else have this problem?

Tamara said...

Sorry about the missing links but they look like they're back. I have no idea what happened. Please let me know if there is still a problem out there.

Mel u said...

My answer on my question is Coco Chanel. Thanks for the responses